Thursday, September 16, 2010

what i learned from the wonderful folks at penciljam.com

simplicity.

in a word, that's what i've learned.

but i guess that wouldn't qualify as an essay, so let me elaborate.

at the outset, i don't want this to sound like a table of contents of the course.

while i'd love to just show the progression of sketches from day 1 till now (1 sketch=1000 words, after all), i'll just stick to words.

certainly i've added to my vocabulary, jargon that would allow me to pass off as an 'arty-farty' type.

more importantly the course has done much to alter my perception system.it has drastically altered the way i see the world around me.

earlier i saw forms, creatures, structures and objects. now all i see are lines, shapes and highlights.

earlier i drew with my fingers. now i draw with my arm.

earlier i drew harsh lines to define shapes. now i use varying tones to define shapes. of course i still use lines where required.

earlier i was petrified by any colour other than black. now i'm quite comfortable to dabble around with the colour palette.

earlier i was hesitant to start a sketch. now i feel uneasy if i don't have my sketchpad with me.i dream of vacations where i can just sketch and paint.

earlier i thought drawing was an inborn skill. now i think it is a discipline that needs to be developed and maintained.


earlier i had the fear of a sketch going wrong. now i think of it as just a piece of paper and have fun.

i guess it's a valuable lesson i've learned, not just for art, but for life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment